About this course
Be a leader people WANT to follow
The modern role of leadership is not so much to delegate, evaluate, rate, rank, review, and differentiate. Rather, today’s leaders coach, chart the path, clear the path, and help people have awesome experiences in the process. It involves a lot of communicating, a huge emphasis on goals, being clear on priorities, erring to “yes”, and obsessive attention to the people side of things. It means taking personal responsibility for continually advancing your people skills.
Based on the highly regarded book, Leadership Is Half The Story: A Fresh Look At Followership, Leadership, and Collaboration (University of Toronto, Rotman Press), this ‘pracademic’ program is the next evolution of ideas of leadership and how work has changed - from leader-centric to partner-centric. And, unlike many leadership courses, this is not about self-help: it is a skill-building course on how to be a great leader of others! Because you’re not leading if no one is following.
This course will be relevant for new people leaders and experienced leaders looking to modernize their leadership know-how and toolkit.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Step into your best leadership self
- Critically evaluate your leadership identity and brand: who you are and who you aspire to be
- Apply the most important leadership technique and know how to get more of it
- Further hone your ‘questioning mindset’ in ways that encourage new insights and get better results
- Distinguish the optimum conditions for team success
- Be easy to follow
- Have generative conversations rather than “difficult” ones
- Give actionable feedback generously and receive feedback graciously
- Gain more insight how you can champion the evolution of your organization’s culture
- Bring out the best in everyone
- Each module takes 25 to 45 minutes to complete all videos and activities.
- The whole course takes 6 to 8 hours to complete.
Module 1: First Day of Class
- WATCH: Meet your teachers
- WATCH: Meet your coach
- READ: Navigating this platform
- READ & DOWNLOAD: Learning tips & journal
- SET UP: Your profile
- SHARE: Introduce yourself
- WATCH & SHARE: Our stories and inspiration
- WATCH: Who’s got the ball?
- JOURNAL & SHARE: What do you believe is important for leadership?
- JOURNAL: Your leadership brand
- SHARE: Get curious!?
Module 2: From leader-centric to partner-centric
- WATCH: The history of leadership in 3 minutes
- PLAY: What do today’s leaders need to do?
- WATCH & SHARE: You’re not leading if no one is following
- WATCH & SHARE: Shirtless dancing guy
- WATCH: A cautionary tale of leadership
- DO, JOURNAL & SHARE: Your humility challenge
Module 3: Be the frame not the canvas
- WATCH: Leadership is setting the frame
- WATCH: Four sides to a frame
- WATCH: New initiative = new frame
- READ & SHARE: An Excess of Creativity!?
- WATCH & SHARE: Ask generative questions not tough ones
- WATCH: Deep, wide, wild and what if
- DO & JOURNAL: Take the question challenge
Module 4: Be easy to follow
- WATCH: Lean in to stay connected
- DO & SHARE: Is my door REALLY open?
- WATCH: Avoid the extremes: Hands-off & Micro-manager
- READ, JOURNAL & DO: Your Personal Operating Manual
Module 5: Believe you have your A-Team
- WATCH: Pygmalion leadership
- WATCH & SHARE: Find the genius among your geniuses
- WATCH, DO & JOURNAL: Evoke pygmalion mid-term exam
- WATCH: It takes two to get engaged
- DO & JOURNAL: The Engagement & Commitment Project
- REFLECT & SHARE: Check-in point
Module 6: Make EVERYONE your in-group
- WATCH & SHARE: Capuchin monkeys reject unequal pay
- WATCH: Equity is Job #1
- JOURNAL: Equity Check Up
- WATCH: All workplace conversations are for the purpose of creating a better future
- WATCH: Turn difficult conversations into generative ones
- JOURNAL & DO: What conversations have you been putting off?
Module 7: Appreciate the heck out of them
- WATCH: 2-Way feedback
- WATCH & SHARE: Accept feedback graciously
- DO & JOURNAL: Quick & Powerful 360 Feedback
- WATCH: Premature evaluation
- WATCH, JOURNAL & SHARE: Halo, pitchfork & blindspots
- WATCH: Give feedback generously
- TOOL: Positives, Improvements & Plans
- WATCH: From recognition to appreciation
- WATCH & SHARE: Your appreciation playbook
- DO & JOURNAL: Positively-skewed Feedback Challenge – Aim for 4:1!
Module 8: Last day of class
- JOURNAL & SHARE: Leadership Actions Assessment
- DO: Bask in your brilliance
- JOURNAL: My smallest next step & commitment to leadership development
- WATCH & SHARE: Congratulations & graduation party