About this course
Creating an inclusive culture & positive workspace
Everyone has the right to feel safe, validated, and be their authentic selves. It is all our responsibility to create a space where that is possible.
By the teacher of one of our most popular courses, Emotional Intelligence: Make deeper connections, BK Chan brings exceptional depth, breadth, warmth, and wisdom to one of the most important organizational competencies today – diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This course provides the tools to help you audit and eliminate existing barriers within your organization and practice. It will help you become more aware of your privilege. (You don't feel privilege; only the absence of it.) And, it will elevate your skills for supporting 2SLGBTQ+ communities.
What you will learn…
- How to create a safer, more inclusive workplace
- How to become a better ally in reducing systemic barriers within your organization or practice
- How to interact on a 1:1 basis and with your team in a way that is respectful and inclusive
- Do’s and don’ts – what do you need to put into action to be an ally, and what should you avoid
Module 1 – First day of class
- WATCH: Meet your teacher
- READ & DOWNLOAD: Learning tips & journal
- SHARE: Introduce yourself & an attunement
- PLAY & SHARE: Group norms
- COMIC: Evolving attitudes
- JOURNAL & SHARE: First impressions
Module 2 –Rights, responsibilities & beyond
- READ: About your rights and responsibilities in Canada
- WATCH: Systemic oppression & barriers
- PLAY: What’s going on for Ono?
- WATCH & SHARE: More on microaggressions
- WATCH: Equality, equity & justice
- JOURNAL & SHARE: How might everyone have a fair shot?
Module 3 – Cultural competence & acknowledging privilege
- JOURNAL & SHARE: Cultural competence
- WATCH & JOURNAL: Cultural competence skills
- COMIC & SHARE: Better
- WATCH: What privilege actually means
- PLAY: Check your privileges
- WATCH: Coming to terms with privilege and power
- COMIC: Privilege
- JOURNAL: My reactions
Module 4 – Leveraging privilege
- WATCH: Sharing vigilance
- WATCH: Swimming against the current
- JOURNAL & SHARE: Swimming against the current
- COMIC: Boyfriend
- WATCH: Ruhumanizing humans
- DO & SHARE: Stories
- COMIC: Connect
Module 5 – Gender
- PLAY: Begin practicing gender-inclusive language
- WATCH: Deconstructing binary sex
- WATCH: Limitless gender
- READ & SHARE: Potato head
- WATCH: SOGIE
- JOURNAL: Who do you see yourself as?
- WATCH: The importance of cis
- COMIC: Tools
Module 5 – Sexual & romantic orientations
- PLAY: Let’s talk about sex (positively) baby
- WATCH: Sex positivity
- WATCH: Explaining the big long rainbow of letters
- JOURNAL: The big long rainbow of letters
- WATCH: Is queer ok to say?
- COMIC: Wonder
- READ: 2S - Two spirit
- SHARE & CELEBRATE: Pride & Visibility
Module 7 – Psychological & physical safety
- WATCH & JOURNAL: Active allyship
- COMIC: Listen
- WATCH: Language matters
- DO & SHARE: Evolving language
- COMIC: Teach
- WATCH: Staying connected through courageous conversations
- WATCH: Bodies in space
- DOWNLOAD & DO: Organizational checklist
Module 8 – Last Day of Class
- JOURNAL & SHARE: How much trouble are you willing to go through?
- PLAY: Final Exam
- WATCH & SHARE: Congratulations!
- DOWNLOAD: Your certificate of completion